Nearly anything can be collected and valued in today’s modern world, including comic books. In fact, comic books have become so prized that in 2023, a congressman was sworn into office with a $5 million Superman comic.
However, comic books aren’t just valuable — they’re also quite delicate. Even a bit of moisture or some rough handling can quickly cause the value of these collector items to diminish significantly. That’s why one thing all comic book collectors should include in their collection is specialized comic book insurance.
In this guide, we’ll run you through what comic book insurance covers, who needs it, what it can cost, and why you would benefit from partnering with Distinguished when selling insurance to comic book aficionados. Ready to turn the page and secure more business in the comic book insurance industry? Let’s get started!
What Does Comic Book Insurance Cover?
Comic Book Insurance covers a variety of common exposures that frequently damage these kinds of collections. This includes:
- Accidental damage: Damage that results from inadvertent accidents and mishandling of the comics.
- Damage in transit: Rips, tears, or other kinds of damage that occur while the comic books are in covered transit.
- Disappearance in transit: Covers comics that get lost while they’re on the way to or from covered locations.
- Natural disaster: Can cover damage or destruction caused by events like fires, flooding, or earthquakes.
Who Needs Comic Book Insurance?
Comic book insurance is typically part of a broader private collections policy like it is here at Distinguished. Therefore, comic book insurance is most useful to people who either have a substantial comic book collection or who collect a wide variety of valuable objects, including some comics.
A homeowner’s insurance policy may be adequate when insuring small collections because it’ll be convenient. However, once a collection starts to trend into the tens of thousands of dollars, a separate policy for collectible items becomes the more prudent choice.
After all, homeowner’s policies aren’t generally set up for specialized, valuable collector items. Also, should something happen, making that large of a claim could see your client’s homeowner’s premiums skyrocket.
How Much Does Comic Book Insurance Cost?
Comic Book Insurance, like many kinds of insurance products, isn’t a flat rate but is instead based on a number of individual factors. With comic books, the most important factors our underwriters will consider are:
- Security or protections in place: This includes items like safes, safe deposit boxes, and centrally monitored burglar alarms.
- Dispersion of collection values: For instance, whether your client has five high-value items vs. 500 lower-valued items in their collection.
- Loss history: Whether your client has a good history of keeping their collections safe.
- Location: This includes whether the comics frequently move between multiple covered locations and whether any of these locations are more prone to events like hurricanes or forest fires.
At Distinguished, we offer insurance for comic books through our Fine Art & Collectibles program. That means that if your client collects a variety of valuables, we could also insure those under this policy. In this case, the kinds of collectibles covered under the policy would also affect overall policy prices.
What Are the Benefits of Distinguished’s Comic Insurance?
Insuring comic books demands a unique blend of experience and knowledge that isn’t acquired all at once. At Distinguished, we pride ourselves on offering you and your clients expertise from our many years in the industry, ensuring they have a policy fit for their collection and circumstances.
When you choose to partner with Distinguished for your comic book clientele, you and your clients get access to:
- Standalone Policies: Our Collectibles insurance is standalone, which means your client’s homeowner insurance remains unaffected if a claim needs to be made.
- Flexible Deductibles and Payment Options: Our underwriting team is used to handling out-of-the-ordinary situations and can work with you to create a policy that fits your client’s particular needs.
- Newly Acquired Items Automatically Covered: We understand that comic book collections are dynamic, with issues frequently being bought or sold. Thus, we offer automatic coverage for new additions, covering up to 25% of the policy’s limit from the moment of acquisition.
- Transit Coverage: Be it between covered residences or on the way home from an auction, our transit coverage ensures your comic books are protected during their journey.
- Flexible Valuation Options: We offer the flexibility of valuing collections either at an agreed value for scheduled items or at market value for unscheduled or blanket policies.
- Expertise in This Field: Our team is well-versed with the nuanced challenges comic book collections present, making us the ideal partner for guidance and solutions.
- Blanket or Scheduled Policies: Depending on your client’s preference, we can value their collection based on a detailed schedule or provide blanket coverage with a maximum per-item value.
Get Started With Distinguished Today
Working with collector clients is never easy. Each collection has its own nuances and necessities, which is why partnering with experts in this field from Distinguished can make all the difference for brokers who wish to grow their business.
If you’re interested in partnering with us for your comic book and collectibles clients, start by registering your agency and getting into our system. After your login details are confirmed, simply fill in our application form, including a schedule of the comic book collection. For larger collections, we may be able to entertain blanket coverage; however, we’d still require a list of the top 5-25 comics in the collection, plus a general idea of the overall value and number of issues in the collection as a whole.
Distinguished’s Comic Book Insurance FAQs
How is this different from my homeowner’s coverage?
Each homeowner’s policy is a little different, so we can’t generalize; however, here are some typical differences you’re likely to see:
- Lower deductibles
- Enhanced or advantageous property valuation
- Immediate coverage for any newly obtained property
- Tailored to cater specifically to the requirements of collectors
Our team specializes exclusively in fine art and collectibles, including comic books. By choosing specialized comic book insurance through Distinguished, we can offer you that experience and ensure your client’s possessions never go underinsured.
How do I figure out what my comic books are worth?
The best way to determine your collection’s value is an independent appraisal. When choosing an appraiser to work with, make sure they possess:
- Relevant qualifications, such as a USPAP certification
- Affiliation with a professional body
- A good track record or recommendation
- Expertise in comic books
For determining the value of your property with us, we’ll request an appraisal (usually done within the last 3-5 years) or, for newer pieces, a purchase invoice or receipt.
Will it cover secondary locations or items in transit?
Yes, we cover property worldwide (except as prohibited by law). We’ll also want to list any of your permanent locations, like second homes or storage facilities, on your policy.
Most policies come with transit coverage, so your client’s comic books would be covered while in transit.
About Distinguished Programs
Distinguished Programs is a leading national insurance Program Manager providing specialized insurance programs to brokers and agents with specific expertise in Fine Art and Collectibles, Environmental and Construction Professional, Executive Lines, Inland Marine, Real Estate & Builder’s Risk, Community Associations, Hotels, and Restaurants. Property and Liability products are distributed through a national network of agents and brokers. Serving the same core markets and partnering with the most stable and reputable carriers, Distinguished’s high-limit Umbrella programs remain the clear choice in its area of specialty for superior coverage, competitive pricing, and attentive service. Through thoughtful innovation, stemming back to 1995, Distinguished Programs fosters growth and opportunities for its brokers, carriers, and employees.